ridgeline medical | Idaho falls
Semaglutide for Weight Loss
Family Medicine & Urgent Care
What is Semaglutide?
Semaglutide is a medication used to treat type 2 diabetes. It belongs to a class of drugs called GLP-1 receptor agonists. GLP-1 is a hormone that is naturally produced by the body in response to food intake, and it helps to regulate blood sugar levels by stimulating the release of insulin and suppressing the release of glucagon.
How does Semaglutide Work?
Semaglutide works by mimicking the action of GLP-1, thereby increasing insulin secretion and decreasing glucagon secretion, which results in lower blood sugar levels. In addition to its glucose-lowering effects, semaglutide also helps to promote weight loss and improve cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes.
Semaglutide is administered by subcutaneous injection once a week and is available in both a pre-filled pen and a single-dose autoinjector. It is important to note that semaglutide should not be used to treat type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis, and it should be used with caution in patients with a history of pancreatitis or thyroid cancer.
Why use Semaglutide for Weight Loss?
Semaglutide has been shown to be effective for weight loss in addition to its primary use in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. The mechanism of weight loss with semaglutide is believed to be due to its effects on appetite control and satiety. Semaglutide can help:
- Slow down the rate at which the stomach empties
- Increase feelings of fullness
- Reduce food intake
- Affect the areas of the brain that regulate hunger and appetite
- Decrease food cravings
- Reduction in calorie intake
What are the Benefits of Semaglutide?
1) Effective for Type 2 Diabetes:
Semaglutide is a medication that is commonly used to treat type 2 diabetes. It belongs to a class of drugs called GLP-1 receptor agonists and helps regulate blood sugar levels by stimulating insulin release and suppressing glucagon release.
2) Weight Loss:
Semaglutide has been shown to be effective for weight loss in addition to its primary use in diabetes treatment. It helps promote weight loss by slowing down stomach emptying, increasing feelings of fullness, reducing food intake, affecting areas of the brain that regulate hunger and appetite, and decreasing food cravings.
Studies have indicated that semaglutide may provide cardiovascular benefits in patients with type 2 diabetes. It has shown improvements in cardiovascular outcomes, including a reduced risk of heart attacks, strokes, and other cardiovascular complications.
4)Improved Health Markers:
Semaglutide has been associated with improvements in various health markers, such as blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and blood sugar control. It can help individuals with type 2 diabetes manage their condition more effectively and potentially reduce the risk of associated health complications.
Semaglutide is administered by subcutaneous injection once a week, offering convenience and ease of use for patients.
Semaglutide is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and for weight loss in higher doses specifically designed for weight management.
Success in Clinical Trials for Weight Loss
Overall, clinical trials have consistently shown that semaglutide can lead to significant weight loss in people with obesity or overweight. In clinical trials, semaglutide has been shown to be highly effective for weight loss, with participants losing an average of 15-20% of their body weight over a period of 68 weeks. This weight loss was accompanied by improvements in various health markers, including blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and blood sugar control.
Semaglutide is currently approved for weight loss by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in a higher dose than the one used for diabetes treatment. It is intended for use in conjunction with a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity and is not a substitute for a healthy lifestyle. Semaglutide should only be used under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
Here are some key findings from clinical trials related to semaglutide:
Clinical trials have consistently shown significant weight loss in individuals using semaglutide. In a trial known as the STEP (Semaglutide Treatment Effect in People with Obesity) program, participants using semaglutide for weight management achieved an average weight loss of 15-20% of their body weight over a period of 68 weeks. This weight loss was accompanied by improvements in various health markers, such as blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and blood sugar control.
Type 2 Diabetes Management
Semaglutide has been extensively studied and approved for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Clinical trials have demonstrated its effectiveness in improving glycemic control by reducing HbA1c levels (a measure of long-term blood sugar control). Semaglutide’s mechanism of action, which includes increasing insulin secretion and decreasing glucagon secretion, contributes to its ability to help individuals with type 2 diabetes manage their condition effectively
Clinical trials have indicated potential cardiovascular benefits associated with semaglutide use in patients with type 2 diabetes. In the SUSTAIN-6 trial, semaglutide demonstrated a reduced risk of major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE) such as heart attacks, strokes, and cardiovascular-related deaths.
Semaglutide has shown a generally favorable safety profile in clinical trials. The most common side effects reported include gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, which are typically mild and temporary. It is important to note that individuals should consult with their healthcare provider regarding potential side effects and any specific concerns.
Our unique approach to medical weight loss
- Personalized, one-on-one consultations with our experienced providers. During a one-on-one medical weight loss consultation, a qualified provider will conduct a comprehensive assessment of the individual’s overall health, medical history, current lifestyle, and weight loss goals. Labs will be drawn to give your provider insight for your custom weight loss plan. This assessment helps the provider gain a thorough understanding of the individual’s unique needs and challenges.
- Individualized Treatment Plan: Based on the assessment, the provider will create a personalized treatment plan that takes into account the individual’s specific goals, health conditions, and preferences. The treatment plan may include a combination of interventions such as dietary recommendations, physical activity guidelines, behavior modification strategies, and, if appropriate, the use of medications like semaglutide for weight management.
- Nutritional and Lifestyle Counseling: Providers offering one-on-one medical weight loss consultations play a vital role in educating individuals about healthy eating habits, portion control, nutrition, and lifestyle changes that support weight loss. They also provide guidance on how to incorporate physical activity and exercise into daily routines. Moreover, these consultations offer a platform for individuals to ask questions, clarify doubts, and receive ongoing support and encouragement from a knowledgeable professional.
- Continuous support throughout your program, including education and advice. Regular follow-up appointments with the provider allow for monitoring and tracking progress. These appointments provide an opportunity to assess the effectiveness of the treatment plan, make any necessary adjustments, and celebrate milestones achieved. The provider can offer additional guidance and motivation, helping individuals stay focused and committed to their weight loss journey.
We offer custom designed medical weight loss program to help you lose weight and keep it off!