Nutrition Tips for the New Year!
Clearly, there are many of us who want to be healthier in 2023, and eating nutritiously is a huge part of a healthy lifestyle! The CDC lists the following benefits to eating a nutritious diet:
- May help you live longer
- Keeps skin, teeth, and eyes healthy
- Supports muscles, strengthens bones, and boosts immunity
- Lowers risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers
- Supports healthy pregnancies and breastfeeding
- Helps the digestive system function
- Helps achieve and maintain a healthy weight
In children, there are even more benefits to eating a healthy diet including supporting healthy growth and brain development! Everyone knows that eating healthy is important, but sometimes it can be hard to stick to your healthy diet goals. We want to pass along some tips to help you keep your nutrition goals this year!
1. MAKE A PLAN – Map out your meals and snacks for the week and make sure you have the necessary ingredients.
2. SHOP SMART – Stick to the grocery list and shop for healthy, whole foods. A healthy diet includes regularly eating vegetables, fruits, whole grains, protein, low-fat milk, nuts, seeds, and fatty fish such as salmon.
3. GET COOKING – Prepare meals at home with fresh ingredients. Diets high in ultra-processed foods can contribute to obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic conditions. These foods contain low quality ingredients such as added sugar, fats, and refined grains which usually means they are low in fiber, protein, and micronutrients.
4. EAT MINDFULLY – Enjoy each bite and take your time. Stop eating when you feel full. Drinking water before and during your meal can also help with digestion.
5. STAY HYDRATED – Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Staying hydrated helps your body function optimally. Limit sugary drinks such as soda, fruit juices, and sweetened tea.
6. MAINTAIN GOOD GUT HEALTH – A disruption in gut health has been linked to chronic diseases and digestion problems. Eating probiotic-rich foods such as yogurt and sauerkraut as well as fiber can help maintain good health in your gut.
7. ENSURE VITAMIN D INTAKE – Vitamin D levels can help with bone strength, and depression, and can boost your immune system and lower your risk for cancer. Milk, calcium-fortified orange juice, and salmon are all good sources of vitamin D. It is a good idea to get your levels tested so you can use supplements, if necessary.
The more scientists know about health, the more they understand how nutrition can affect you from day to day. If you are ready to take control of your eating and nutrition, Ridgeline Medical can help you deal with hunger, weight loss, sleepiness, and related issues through a broad spectrum of programs, tests, and therapies. Ridgeline offers individualized Nutritional Counseling, weight loss programs, diagnostics testing, fasting education and support, and hormonal therapy and balancing. Ridgeline Providers consist of highly qualified professionals who strive to give the highest quality of care to people of all ages. Contact us at 208-715-9990 for more information about our nutrition or other healthcare services!